The beautiful village of Ashwell has been a thriving community for over 1,000 years.
With its historic Tudor houses, 14th century church as well as a great selection of country pubs and local shops.
Ashwell is the perfect place to holiday, nestled in stunning coutryside it is the perfect getaway but only 40 minutes from London and 30 minutes from Cambridge!
Click on photo below to see next image
The village has plenty of choice when it comes to eating, drinking and going out:
- The Three Tuns pub - a very high standard 'gastro' pub serving very good quality food, plus a very good range of wines and beers (under 10 minutes walk from Alder Barn)
- The Rose and Crown pub - a very good standard traditional village pub, serving a great range of 'hearty' food plus a good range of wines and beers. There is also a large beer garden with a good children's play area. This is the closest pub to Alder Barn, just a three minute walk
- The Bushel and Strike - a lovely pub nestled right next too the stunning St. Mary's Church, with some wonderful food and a great range of wines and beers (a 7 minute walk from Alder Barn)
- Star Of India Indian Takeaway - if you fancy 'staying in', the Star of India offers good standard Takeaway food (3 minute walk from Alder Barn)
- Rhubard & Mustard Coffee Shop - Ashwell even has its own coffee shop, where you sit and relax with a wide choice of hot and cold drinks, plus pasteries and much more (7 minute walk from Alder Barn)
- Days Bakery (61 High Street) - great selection of bread, pastries, sandwiches, drinks, soup etc. (6 minute walk from Alder Barn).
- Crumps the Butchers (Mill Street) - superb selection of local meat and poultry, delicious fresh fish and an extensive selection of delicatessen goods – including home made pates, pies and pastries (7 minute walk from Alder Barn).
- The Ashwell Pharmacy (22 High Street) - comprehensive selection of mainstream and alternative medicines, plus all the items you would expect from a well stocked chemist.
- List of Local Food Producers and Suppliers on BigBarn.co.uk - close to Ashwell are a number of very good quality suppliers of local produce.
- Supermarket Home Delivery We are also within the Ocado and Tesco delivery area, should you wish to arrange a shopping delivery.
- Deep Purple Nail and Beauty (Dixies Barns) - very well established salon that solely focuses on nails, beauty and holistic treatments (next door to Alder Barn)
- Bradleys Hairdressers (Dixies Barns) - popular and established ladies and mens hairdressers (next door to Alder Barn)
There is plenty to see in Ashwell without even needing to go further afield
- St. Mary Church - not only is St. Mary's a stunning example of 14th Centry English Church Architecture which is open daily for all to visit, it is also a vibrant active church that serves the community. Click here for St. Marys ashwell welcome leaflet.
- Ashwell Museum - open every Sunday and Bank Holiday, why not find out more about historic Ashwell at the Museum.
- Country Walks - nestled in beautiful rolling Hertfordshire countryside, Ashwell is blessed with a number of lovely walks straight out from the village itself.
- Ashwell Springs - located in the centre of Ashwell, Ashwell Spring is one of the sources of the River Cam (which flows through Cambridge) and is a wonderful place to go and sit, or let the children splash!
The lovely market town of Baldock is only few minutes drive by car, and offers the wide selection of shops, pubs, bars and restaurants that you would expect from a larger thriving local town:
- Ashwell Gallery – located on the other corner of the Dixies courtyard to Alder Barn, Ashwell Gallery is the home of fine art and picture framing in Hertfordshire.
- Ashwell Jewellery – located next door but one to Alder Barn, Keith Gordon provides handcrafted bespoke jewellery inspired by his passion for the trade and his travels.